Great Basin College
Good news, locals…. You can sharpen your computer skills or learn best practices for the workplace through Great Basin College Continuing Education right here in Elko – there is no need to travel to a larger city which saves you time and money!
We offer up-to-date, hands-on training in Basic Computing as well as Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced training in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Project for groups of ten or more people,” says director, Angie de Braga. “Our most popular course by far is Excel where people learn how to use formulas, create charts, and pivot tables, among other valuable skills. We just recently added a fourth level of training that focuses on Object Linking and Embedding (OLE), writing queries, creating and editing slicers, and using solver. The classes generally meet from 8 am – 3 pm, and participants earn a certificate for each level they complete. GBC instructors can customize the course content to your specific group’s needs.
Additional topics for half and full-day courses include Communication in the Workplace, Conflict Resolution, and Team Building. We also coordinate CPR and First Aid classes for businesses that need their employees to have a credential in those areas. If you are interested in booking a class, please call Angie de Braga in the GBC Continuing Education office at 775-753-2231 or email email@example.com.
Great Basin College has also partnered with the University of Nevada Reno to bring a series of professional development courses to the GBC Elko campus.
• Managing and Supervising People taught by Robert Moren, Ph.D., is scheduled on November 7 and 8
• Problem Solving: The Art and Science Behind Better Decision Making taught by Veronica Frenkel, M.A., SPHR, on December 6. Both classes are from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm.
Refreshments and lunch are provided.
The UNR classes are designed to enrich and strengthen organizations. Future classes will address the following topics –
• Building Better Employee Relations taught by Kim McNamara, SPHR, CPCC, SHRM-SCP, HR, on February 20
• How to Handle Difficult Conversations taught by Veronica Frenkel, M.A., SPHR, on April 17
• Effective Discipline and Documentation taught by Karyn Jensen, M.S., SPHR, SHRM-SCP on May 7.
For details or to enroll, call UNR Extended Studies at 1-800-233-8928.
Community classes & events
• Driver Education for high school students which starts November 1
• Bob Ross Technique for Oil Painting scheduled on November 2.
• Effective Communication for Healthier Relationships offered November 9.
• Osher Lifelong Learning presentation, The Enduring Mystery of Jack the Ripper, featured on November 15 in the GBC Community Outreach Center.
• On Thursday, November 21, GBC Ceramics Students are selling their beautiful handmade works in the Leonard Center for Student Life from 4-6:00 pm. Come purchase unique holiday gifts and support our GBC students! For details call Continuing Education at 775-753-2231.