Contributed by Dr. Todd Wendell of Ruby Mountain Chiropractic Center
You feel exhausted at the end of the day. Your neck always hurts. You have frequent headaches, and maybe even fibromyalgia. Have you wondered if head posture could be the cause?
Dealing with frequent neck or shoulder pain? We can help you regain proper head posture.
All About Forward Head Carriage
When your head is positioned correctly, the opening to your ear is centered over your shoulder and a healthy curve is measured on XRay. If your ear opening is off center and is located to the front of the shoulder, you have forward head posture, also known as forward head carriage. For every inch that your head is off center, extra unnecessary weight is exerted on the muscles in your neck and upper back, making them work harder just to keep your head up!
Unfortunately, today’s lifestyle contributes to this condition far too often. Workers hunched over their computers all day, children watching television and playing video games, cradling the phone between your ear and your shoulder and driving in the car for long periods of time can all cause forward head posture. Left untreated, this condition can cause disc compression and poor health.
How You Can Help Yourself
Consider the following when it comes to correcting forward head posture.
• Receive regular problem focused Chiropractic care. CBP Chiropractic care has shown to be effective in reversing forward head posture, reducing pain and preventing further deterioration of the spine.
• Get up and stretch every 15-20 minutes if you sit at a desk during the day.
• Limit the amount of time you spend watching television or playing video games.
• Focus more on your posture, making sure you are sitting up straight with your head in an upright position.
• Sleep on a cervical pillow to maintain the proper curve in your cervical spine.
If you’re concerned about forward head posture and you have neck or back pain, headaches, muscle weakness, or fatigue, consider contacting us for an appointment so your posture can be measured. No guessing if this could be the probable source of your pain, it’ll be measured and shown to you with state of the art technologies. Give a call today!
Ruby Mountain Chiropractic